Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Grocery Shopping

I have a new found love for grocery shopping. First, it's 1 hour all to myself because Brad would rather watch Ella than go and second I've turned it in to a game to see how much money I can save and how efficient I can make it. I'm starting with the easy stuff first. I used to go to Safeway and buy whatever I saw that looked good and spend about $200. I had to do this about once every 2 weeks plus some trips in between for stuff I didn't have. This seemed ridiculous for a family of 2. So a couple months ago I started writing down 10 meals to cook for the next 2 weeks (Brad even helps choose so he can't complain about what we're having :). Then I make my list and head to the store. So far I haven't spent more than $100 for a 2 week trip. So I figure just planning ahead of time is saving about $200/month. Then, yesterday I decided to price match at Wal-Mart. I picked up a Yolks and Safeway ad and wrote out everything I wanted from each. When I got to the checkout I had a pile for each store and told the cahier the advertised prices and that's what she charged me. It took an extra 10 minutes and saved about $10 on my $100 bill. Not earth shattering, but better than nothing. Of course then I went and rented 2 BluRay discs for $12. One thing at a time...

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! I'm very impressed. the funny thing is is that's how I was when we first got married and now I'm more like the unplanned ridiculously high grocery bill kind of shopper. I've honestly tried to get better recently, but it's a challenge when we've moved to a different country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. let the games begin! we like crock pot meals, we have a cp cookbook & i pick a meal out of it once a week

    ReplyDelete